Thursday, May 7, 2009

Heart of The City

Feeling very musical today. Though the office stereo is in fritz (I think it just the speaker cables), I bought a bunch of records last night. I went to Record Theatre on Main and Lafayette and the experience was cool- mellow background music (reggae, Radiohead, hip-hop, etc) and time to browse. They had a lot of cool 45 singles left over from record Store Day (see old post). Nothing like the sound of a fresh record on it's very first play. No scratches yet- love it.

I'll tell ya what I bought:

  • Gamma Ray- Jay Reatard mix (Beck) 7"

  • a double Yep Rock 7" single with: Sickey Boy (Robyn Hitchcock and Venus 3) b/w Heart of The City- live (Nick Lowe) 7"

  • The Hitcher (Swervedriver) 47"

  • Mykonos (Fleet Foxes) 7" in a fancy gatefold sleeve.

  • Blue Collar Funk (Scott Down & DJ Culter) 7"- local boys make old funk new.

  • A double LP, Pressure Sands Presents: Every Mouth Must Be Fed 1973-1976- a collection of reggae songs starring I-Roy ("this killer set from the vaults of Pete Weston's original Roots imprint Micron Music Limited....")
Oh yeah, and I bought then while wearing T-Shirt Of The Week #11:
full-front white boom boxes on a green tee.
I bought this one at Marshall's- of all places- and it is a very cool design. It looks like the same art used on a bunch of Ubiquity records tees, but I don't think it is the same art. Anyway cool shirt, nice design- perfect for record shopping. I love records.

4 comments:

Kevin J. Hosey said...

Nice, especially on the Yep Rock 7-inch 45 and the t-shirt. Marshall's? Damn.

Jason Gusmann said...

i couldn't wuite understand you last nite, but i really wanna hear that reatard remix of the beck track. "heart of the city" live must be amazing too - i only have the studio version, and that's a heart-stopper, especially for boring ol' nick lowe.

Jason Gusmann said...

sorry - "couldn't quite understand you"

mark said...

I know, what kind of name is Jay Reatard? You have to come by for some record spinning sometime soon.

What is really strange is the 'secret code word' below (the Word Verification) as I am posting this says "reedard" what the?