Saturday, June 6, 2009

I Go To Work (but not on a Saturday!?!??!)

I often take Saturday & Sundays off from the biz-ness and it seems to work well. I mentioned several posts ago how I dislike working on the weekends and avoid it whenever possible. Since most of my work-time is spend working on proposals and finding the work, I sometimes will sneak some creative in here and there to satisfy that need. But it has to be fun stuff- rock posters, CD art, etc.

When I was in college and had a restaurant job I spend all weekends working. It wasn't too bad except the dreaded late nite Sat & the early Sunday morning combo. To make matters worse, the time between those 2 shifts was not spent sleeping- as you may imagine. But getting up Sunday morning to work? I guess I could get up early these days and put some hours in before the girls awake...? I guess I am more of a nite owl and would rather put the hours in late if needed.

As we are well into our 9th year as our own thing- OtherWisz Creative- working the odd hours seem less and less a necessity. Though I feel like I still have to work like crazy to keep the ship afloat, I guess I don't really have to as much these days. We have the staff to do the work and as long as I keep it coming in, manage it, and come up with the concepts (w/ J. of course) I guess I can keep it to standard biz hours- 9-5pm. I think creative folks usually would frown on that and would rather work the crazy hours.

I am interested in what you folks out there are doing, especially the creative types...? What sort of work schedule do you keep you writers, musicains (see Willie above), artists, graphic folks, photogs, etc? Let me know- comment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

work when you need to and relax and have fun when you don't. you only have one life.

I know when I started working my less, my kids told me they were very glad.

I don't think I could ever go back to working those 80 hour weeks.

Bradi maione said...

Creative and government are two terms that do not and should not be in the same sentence. I wish it were the case.