Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hungry Like The Wolf

I recently unearthed some great old kids records from the 40s and 50s. A few are from Columbia's Playtime label and a few are from Peter Pan Records ("for happy children") which was owned by Synthetic Plastics Company in Newark, NJ. I saved them because I love records (in general) and the illustrations are so vibrant. Instead of fading with age they have seemed to have gotten brighter.

I picked a few I really liked to post here including Peter Rabbit- a Musical Story, Little Bo Peep, 3 Little Pigs and my favorite Cinderella. The mix of typefaces include classics, gimmick (the brick typeface on the 3 Pigs), and hand written. The characters also are a mix of adorable (Bo Peep and her lamb) and somewhat scary (the freaky Peter Cottontail).

All in all, great little batch of designs from the past- click for larger view.


3 Little Pigs- A Musical Story (front).


Nonbreakable-- 3 Pigs (back).


Cinderella- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (front).


Cinderella (back).


Peter Cottontail (front).


Little Bo Peep (front and back).



Farmer in the Dell sung by Gene Kelly.

3 comments:

Jason Gusmann said...

i love the playtime label logo - those characters, i wanna tattoo them on my chest.

mark said...

The dancing children or the farmer and his family?

Pharaoh said...

Hey, I remember those. I took pictures of a few right?