Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Finest Worksong


Most friends and clients know that M. and I run our business from our home, that is, from our barn in the back. Our work schedule was developed in the early years while our family and the business was in its infancy, by working any 12 hours of the day that we wished.

We felt that it worked for our clients as well as our family- I had the ability to be home for the girls while they were up and adjusted my work hours to their nap time and that wonderful block of time bewteen 7pm and 1am, when I would get most of my work accomplished.

Now the girls are older, I can work the traditional business (er, bank) hours, plus some (from 9am to 4pm AND 8pm to 1am).

I have to admit, vacation always throws me off a bit. Figuring out how to get the work done while a couple of princesses are dancing around to Hannah Montana and asking me for red pencils, paper, string, snacks and extra hugs is nice, but distracting at times. I am back to completing most of my work late night. But to sit my kitchen, take advantage of the wireless and the sun that streams through the window having just completed easter eggs and a load of laundry while the girls create books in the dining room is more than satisfying. But the work (or the family) can often slip in priority, depending on who is more in need. And the days are less a balance of my time and more of a juggling act. But I actually enjoy my days more.

In times of recession many people decide to hold their fate in their own hands and start a business. That is what we did 9 years ago. Newly minted entrepreneurs call on us every week, and I anticipate more as the current economy grinds on.

I think of how many people who are in or may be contemplating the same position- that of work-at-home-parent- and wonder how a flexible schedule can bring out the best (and worst) of daily roles. Does it make me a better boss? employee? parent? partner? Or do I just think I am?

8 comments:

mark said...

Now that's a fine title

Braid M said...

I know it must be hard but in the end it will be rewarding -- Unlike some people who never see their kids, you are able to see them every day and are able to interact with them --- I envy you

j.ll said...

no, wait. I am not trying to say poor me/us by any means. I believe it is just as hard to be at work on a regimented schedule.

Juggling can be difficult and patience can wear thin but we make decisions based on the lifestyle we want to have. We made compromises on some (we pay for our own health ins., no sick days, holiday or vacation pay) but have benefit in others (mostly in flexiblity). I schedule my own vacation time, run errands during the day/ schedule my own hours. Online banking is a convenience that helps.

I really feel that more of us can benefit from similar situations.

I am happiest when I get that perfect balance or work and family (not too much of either) work to feel productive, useful and accomplished, family to feel nurturing, loved and relaxed...

Jason Gusmann said...

i think you are both bad people for running your own business. i can't justify it, its just how i feel. don't get me wrong, i still like you guys, i just think you're bad people.

mark said...

You love us. You love us. I can tell, Mr. Sarcasm. Ha, ha.

j.ll said...

ok, well. Now I've had enough.

One week down and we've made eggs. Painted magnets. Gone to the market, the waterfront and shoe shopping. We have yet to make cookies, charm bracelets, and scap-books.

If a bus goes by my house this Monday, any bus, I am putting my girls on it.

I may even thank god for the Hannah Montana movie. Best of both worlds?

I'd like to go back to work now.

edreys wajed said...

good luck this week!...i'll be thinking about you as I TOO go through the same with 2 hi-energy boys asking, telling, yelling, crying, laughing etc etc etc....
edreys

j.ll said...

Luck and patience to you too, edreys-
fortunately it is sunny and we can let them burn off some of that sugar outside.

I think some polka dancing is on the schedule...