Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Streetlife

...me and my Buffalo Sabres, yeah, yeah, yeah...
-- We're Gonna Win That Cup

While designing an upcoming exhibit for the Buffalo Hockey Experience and Museum I have had access to some great hockey memorabilia. We are trying to brand the exhibit with some appropriate graphics, so I have been doing my research through the collection's archives. One of the first things BHEM's founder, Dr. Joe, handed me when I met him last year was a 1972 program from a Sabres-North Stars game.

This old blue program, this one treasure (it was a keeper, sports fans) had been a big part of the inspiration when working on the initial logo and the overall brand of the museum last year. It is full of great poorly printed photos, stats and hand typeset stories of the 1972 Sabres' hockey club.

This program has also been a great look into the Queen City herself in the early '70s. The ads for Buffalo shops, department stores, bars and restaurants give you a peek into nightlife in general. These are places I have only heard about and one that is still here: No Names (at right). The ads sure are pleasingly retro, baby! So I scanned a bunch of them to share.

More on the upcoming History Museum event later...
but for now- Ladies & Gentlemen- Buffalo, NY 1972.


Wild West Saloon in the Statler Hilton Hotel. "Bring the Bunch for Brunch!" Yee-ha.


This is kinda wild west as well, did 1972 Buffalo have a lot of saloons with spitoons?


I love this one, this guys outfit just says 'hockey player' (or Doug Henning)... outfitted by Ron, Frank and Gino.


Every other drink is 1/2 price... care to join me for a 'businessman's lunch?'


The Keyhole for the fashionable young man. They have it all: flare slacks, blue denims and belts!


The finest in what we used to call 'professional entertainment' for your dancing and listening pleasure...


The legend, Twin Fair, there used to be one in my neighborhood across from the whale car wash.

2 comments:

Kevin J. Hosey said...

Those are great, Mark. I remember too many of them, but wow, Man Two.

Jason Gusmann said...

thanks, mark, these are amazing! i grew up by the twin fair and the whale car wash on the other side (literally) of the tracks. one issue tho: i dont think they actually sold clothes at the keyhole, if you know what i mean. people in the choir needed to be a LOT more discreet in the 70s.