Monday, November 10, 2008

Shout Me Out

Postcards From Our Past (part 3)- place one cent stamp here

I think I am hooked, I may have to put up a flkr page of these.

I have another 6 great oldie views of the good lady, the Queen City. Back story: a friend had lent me these postcards and I was taking by the history, the colors and the weird ghostly aspect of them. As well, I was inspired by some feedback- info provided by Rick Barrett's grandfather who used to own the Morgan Building. I posted a query on the last postcard post and he responded! Now there's the power of the internet for ya, eh? very cool.

Last night I was reading a cool piece on Eero Saarinen in Metropolis mag (Reconsidering Eero)-- the designer of the super slick "new $1,300,000" Kleinhans Music Hall, who did the St. Louis Arch among other architectural marvels. There is great postcard of that building below. I also like the dirt road leading past the back of the Albright Knox and the Zoo postcard with the baby elephant threatening scared purple-coat Pete.


Early Buffalo, NY gun fight.


Kleinhans Music Hall: the back lists Director Mrs. Fred D. Corey.


I have a bunch of Ellicott Square Building images on loan from P22 Rich and this one has a nice crowded street scene in front. The back says "published by the Buffalo News Company." J. used to work in this building- it is still massive!


Concrete ladies on the Buffalo Harbour.


Any of you West Siders know anything about this one:
Old Stone Castle, Fort Porter, Buffalo, NY... Do ya?


This is no longer a car road around this side of the
Albright Knox Art Gallery, let alone a dirt road...

Here are the my other 2 sets of scanned, brightly-coloured history: part 1 & part 2...

2 comments:

E said...

Is that "old stone castle" maybe the building that's now the Niagara Branch Library? It's been a long time since I was in that part of time, but seems to me the size and configuration are about right.

mark said...

I thought that was a very good guess
especially for a guy from out of town.