Sunday, March 29, 2009

Indestructable

OtherWisz Poster Featured in Buffalo Spree

The Buffalo Spree 2009 Music issue arrived in my mailbox yesterday and I was excited to look through it. It has a big Buffalo polka story, a Terry Sullivan story and a roundtable discussion with some of our local concert promoters like Marty from the Mohawk Place and Donny K. As I am looking at the photos in a piece titled "Ron's Museum of Musical Ephemera- Sections From the Permanent Collection 1967-2005" I turned the page and almost fell off my chair. I was shocked as I saw an OtherWisz designed poster featured as part of his collection! What an honor.

Ron's entry for 2003 is a Joe Strummer Tribute poster that I designed! I was psyched! You know you have designed a good poster when they start showing up as artwork in people's collections or framed on their walls. This particular poster was from the second year we did the event which happens every December at the Mohawk Place- there have been 7 poster/events so far. The 2003 poster featured a digitally re-rendered shot of mohawked-Joe (Combat Rock era) Strummer singing into the mike in stark red, black and white. It was one of my favorites... and to see it in the Buffalo Spree Music issue was a pleasant surprise. Thanks Ron!

Pick the latest Spree up at your local newstand. It is a great issue!

Here is a large view of the featured poster. You can click through all seven of them in this Joe Strummer poster gallery on the dejablu website.

1 comment:

Jason Gusmann said...

great news, pal! that's an awesome poster, too, deserving of the accolades.