Friday, May 1, 2009

Bullet In The Head

T-Shirt Of The Week #10: RAGE White ink on Black Tee.

This is my weekly feature on a favorite t-shirt that I own, number ten. RAGE was a '90s nightclub in Buffalo that rose from the ashes of the ICON. The ICON closed following a raucous Wu-Tang Clan show that involved fights and guns. RAGE was developed by the guys that ran Concrete and was managed by DJ Andre. It was a dance club that never reached its full potential, as I remember, but still had a few good nights in it.

This is a logo that I had designed old school style. I typed the words on my typewriter, complete with strike-through, blew it up, cut out the letters, copied it a few times, rescanned it, and then digitized it. The distressing was actually distressing. At the time, 'grunge design' was popular and they were just starting to make fonts that looked like this- I had to make my own. I think of the time that went into this, carefully scraping away at the Xerox, copying it again, and how it easy it would be now to find a similar font, type it in and be done. It wouldn't be the same, though....

No comments: