Friday, May 11, 2007

are you trying to break my heart

Meant to blog about this immediately but the trials of life interfered.

After my car accident of last week (minor) we were subjected to a random audit by the state dept. of labor (not so bad in the end) and the hard drive crash of 07 (major but recovering).

Now, I am left with a nagging sore throat and post nasal I can't get rid of.

But two things stood out in an otherwisz disappointing week...

1.
Helvetica- the movie. a film by Gary Huswit, who produced the Wilco movie I so thoroughly enjoyed a few years ago (I know, it always comes back to Wilco with me- and for those not yet introduced to their work a full preview of their latest release is still online here).

A really fun film, (Fonts R Fun? Yes they R!) I enjoyed the designer interviews- hearing their own words reminded me why I got involved in the business in the first place.
It should be noted that my spellcheck does not recognize the word 'helvetica'.

1. a Paper Show- scored some nice designer swag (not what you would think- pretty geeky stuff I mostly grab for inspiration) including:
-a mini book on charles and ray eames(this one is a keeper)
-a mini book of book cover photography
-another book on fonts (this piece shines)
-another photography book on 9/11
-some assorted note cards, pads and sketchbooks
-assorted samples, and collections and presentations of award winning projects

It is not just the content of the pieces, but the presentation. Of course, they not only use their top quality paper but the printing effects and processes. All I can say is, who prints this stuff? I've never seen anything printed that compares with these pieces- anywhere.

Paper shows are kind of like going to a really great food market. You walk around selecting the best ingredients and browsing cookbooks to create a stupendous meal. They even have appies and drinks.

I was happy because the last show I went to... not so much.

I am going to curl up in bed tonight- with my cold, my wilco and my books and samples to keep me inspiredhappy.

No comments: