Friday, May 18, 2007

Bring That Beat Back

When my friend had his comic book store on Allen Street (across from the old Pink) he used to give me tons of comics all the time. I was a huge Captain America fan and he used to shovel all the nineties 'Caps' my way. He also used to offer me the good books, the Caps from the sixties and seventies, once in a while.

I started to really enjoy looking at the ads as well as the story. I remembered them from when I was a kid and I loved the 'GRIT' ads with all the cool prizes you could win, the '100 pc. Toy Soldiers' set for only $1.98 (which I ordered once), and this one for 'Dingo' boots featuring the legendary-infamous OJ Simpson.

In a new series, debuting today, I am going to feature some classic comic book ads. The design of these ads usually consist of:

  1. cramming as much info as they could in the ad at one time
  2. bad seventies and eighties color reproduction-- comic printing was weak in those days as the cheap newsprint sucked the ink in
  3. large, bold ugly HEADLINE typefaces- lots of 3D text and drop shadows
  4. really, really small body text fonts (7 pt. and under)

The first one is linked here> "The OJ Dingo" ad.

> I like OJs Superman pose in the 2nd frame.
> Apprently they used to let kids just walk into the locker room.
> Can I still send in the form and get OJ's autograph...?

No comments: