Friday, April 24, 2009

Steal The Crumbs

Adventures in Small Business, Part 24

My trip to visit a client in South-East Buffalo (ethnically named 'Kaiser Town', to be exact) is always an adventure. K Sisters Pierogi is on Clinton Street, a family business that has grown to become one of the best makers of authentic pierogi in Buffalo. We have helped this company build a brand from the ground up-- starting with a logo, business cards (folded pierogi-shaped cards, mind you...), advertisements and soon to be launched website (www.buffalopierogi.com). Once the site goes up, K Sisters' Polish delicacies will be available to the entire world.

Even though they are soon to be 'open to the world', for now, they are still a little Clinton Street shop where the food is made by a bunch of ladies in the back, hands pinching pierogi (just like Grandma used to make...). When I went today, they was a bit of a setback as my meeting was delayed when my contact there got pulled over by the police for speeding in Alden on her way in. They told me to come back in 20 minutes so I decided to grab a cup of coffee in the neighborhood traveling up to the intersection of Clinton and South Rossler to the Macedonian Family Restaurant. This is a little diner my Grandma used to like patronize. After a breakfast of eggs over easy, hash browns, toast and coffee (peppered with the family of the 'Family Restaurant' bickering in a language I can only guess is Macedonia), I paid my tab of $4.70, which was added up by hand on a napkin, and went back to the pierogi shop.

After a brief meeting, I decided to help out by delivering a shipment of K Sisters pierogi to the Lexington Co-Op. Vice President of international design firm one day- delivery boy the next. What the heck, it's a nice sunny day with a temp of 67° and it's Friday, I didn't mind helping out. As I am driving, I think about some of our large clients that have 100 of employees as compared to the small staff at K Sisters. I love helping out our customers, but am I going to run errands for the large ones? I have a certain bond with the small, family owned businesses since we are one ourselves. Maybe that should be a selling point? Let OtherWisz design your logo, brand, website, promotional material.... let us help with your marketing strategy.... and I'll deliver your pierogi for you. Today I got paid in:

  • pierogi
  • 'lazy man' pierogi
  • a fresh Placek and
  • 2 butter lambs
... seems like a fair trade. Don't you think?

No comments: