Monday, March 19, 2007

Paint a Vulgar Picture

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Nothing like the creative jolt that comes from a new design book or magazine for sheer inspirartion. When I was in design school (a million years a go) we were always told to go out and see what was going on in the world- design wise. My proferssors used to say, "Go to the art gallery, go to the bookstore and explore the arts or design section. See what your contemporaries are doing- use it to inspire you."

Well years later (a million, to be precise) that mantra still holds true. Last week the latest Print magazine came boasting "New Visual Artists 2007." These are the nubies to be sure, yet still an inspiration. Then I hit paydirt! I went to a bookstore and scored the following:

> Communication Arts (March/April 2007)
> STEP Inside Design (March/April 2007)
> HOW (April 2007)
> Surface- design, architecture and fashion
> Uncut- an English music rag, with The Smiths on the cover.

Alright, the last one was the odd man out, but hey, I like The Smiths- "30 Best Smiths Songs!" So I am pretty excited to absorb- like a design sponge- what is going on outside of our design office. And the HOW is their "International Design Annual" so that is bonus! If I find anything really cool, I'll let you know.... now to just find the time to read them...

No comments: