Friday, July 6, 2007

War

Here is another classic comic book ... as I am waiting for pages of a comp to print out at 1:00am in the morning ...damn middle-of-the-week holiday.

The legendary 100 pc. Toy Solider Set- 'made of durable plastic, each with it's own base.' Oh yeah, and it comes 'packed in this Footlocker!'. Exciting! How else?!

I can tell you from experience that the ad is much cooler than the toy. The guys are flat, not 3D, as you may have assumed from the cool action illustration! I mean flat. The dimensions in that ad note: 6-1/2" x 3" x 2-3/8". The forgot to add the 4th dimension which is about 1/32" thick!!!!!! If even.

And the storage box is made out of crappy cardboard. It is not waterproof, or action proof, for that matter.

This classic ad from the late seventies, early eighties featuring:

  • Bold colors in a great comic book war scene. Exploding boats!
  • Seems like a deal at only $1.98.
  • I really like the trap on the headline- just 2 rectangular shapes cut out of the rubylith, this is like 15-18 pt. trap!
  • Though the ad offers to "Rush the Toy Solider Set to You" the fine prints warns allow 5-6 weeks for delivery.
  • The fine print disclaimer: "Imaginary war scene shown" --Thanks for filling me in, I thought it was an actual snapshot from 'The Battle of the Bulge!"
  • And best of all "No Canadian or foreign orders." These could be used for low rent war games, strategy meetings, briefings, I guess.... Awfully dangerous to fall into the enemies (or Canadians) hands.
Click here to enjoy The legendary 100 pc. Toy Solider Set!

1 comment:

mark said...

My wife, the trained architect has informed me that the 4th dimension is 'time.' ...and it does say 4-6 weeks. You know us graphic art art so smart sometimes.... wha?