Tuesday, March 24, 2009

She Bangs The Drum

Top Reasons You Should Buy The CD Box Set The Brit Box

I have had the pleasure of listening to the 78 tracks in this The Brit Box over the past few days. I have listened to them in my kitchen, in the office, in my car, on my Iprobe as I have waited for the school bus and taken nightly walks up Elmwood Ave (got to keep that heart a beatin') and it is very good for you all so you should buy it. Go ahead.

  • Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (Spiritulized)-- I don't know much about Mr. Jason Pierce, but I like what I've heard so far. Give me more! Space!

  • Wide Open Space (Mansun)-- another good space song.... More space!!

  • Sleep Well Tonight (Gene)-- This was a CMJ sampler song when it came out and it's a great mix of Smiths meet Queen.

  • Both 'Alrights'- (Supergrass & Cast)- 2 songs, same name, 2 great pop songs. Alrightee, then.

  • Lucky Man (Verve)-- classic.

  • Pearl (Chapterhouse)- rich, droney rock.

  • Duel (Swervedriver), Grey Cell Green (Ned's Atomic Dustbin), April Skies (JAMC)-- rockin' again!!

  • Primitive Painters (Felt)- I never heard this before, a Creation label band.

  • Only Shallow (My Bloody Valentine)-- this could be my new favorite band, for real!
    Probably one of the best tracks on thebox set.

  • I Want To Hold You (Catherine Wheel)- - I did a poster for these guys when they played at someplace in Buffalo back in the '90s, like the Scrapyard (I think).

  • Metal Mickey (Suede) !!!

  • Brimful of Asha (Cornership)- everybody needs a bosom for a pillow....

  • The extensive liner notes and photos, a nice page layout and flashing lights built into the box graphics.

  • 78 total songs.

  • And the #1 reason.... The Madchester set: She Bangs The Drum (Stone Roses) - The Only One I Know (Charlatans UK) - Step On (Happy Mondays) - Loaded (Primal Scream) - This is How It Feels (Inspiral Carpets)- all in a row... nuff said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall listening to first few notes of "Loaded" over and over --- A sample to delight in --

Jason Gusmann said...

"just what is it that you want to do?"
"we wanna be free, man, to do what we wanna do. we wanna get loaded, we wanna have a good time, so that's what we're gonna do."
"no way, baby, let's go!"
"we're gonna have a party."
this is burned into my memory forever.