Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Living in Fame: The Email Interviews (part 5)

Here is the 5th of several quick email interviews with Buffalo designers, artists, photogs and the like. There are a lot of talented creative types in the Queen City- let us see what is in their heads-- topics include BFLO, design and their inspirations.

My fifth responder is Julian Montague, an artist and local designer who works under the moniker Montague Projects. He is the author of the book "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, this year's Diagram Prize for the Oddest Title of 2006.

Name: Julian Montague

Age: 34

Occupation: Artist/Graphic Designer

Company: Montague Projects

Design Education (if any): The Streets

I decided to become a designer because....?
As a kid I loved Tintin, record covers, Ukiyo-e prints, books about wild life (the Golden Guides in particular) and everything connected to skateboarding. I was always excited by graphic design but for some reason I never really thought about being a graphic designer. I did not study art or design in college but after graduation (1996) I realized what I wanted to do with my life. Fortunately, computers were changing the technical side of design making it possible to get into designing without returning to school.

Designing in Buffalo is....?
It is hard for me to say. I have spent most of my career doing work for non-profit entities, Hallwalls, Just Buffalo Literary Center, etc., and working full time as the art director for First Hand Learning, Inc. (a non-profit that develops curriculum and materials for elementary school science programs). I am only just now going freelance and starting to pursue commercial clients.

I find inspiration in....?
Books, art, music, other designer's work, science, popular culture.

My favorite design(er) is ..... ?
Buro Destruct, Syrup Helsinki, Neasden Control Centre

Right now (I mean RIGHT NOW!) I am listening to...?
Bill Fay's album Tomorrow Tomorrow and Tomorrow. I was recently introduced to his music, he made three beautiful sad albums between 1966 and 1971 but he never had much success. I think he might be dead.

No comments: